Happiness is a now you feel it, now you dont emotion. I know this from personal experience and from hearing of the experiences of others. Sometimes Im very happy, other times, sad, joyful, contented, frustrated, and sometimes very neutral.
Several years ago I had no reference point for the word happy. I knew technically the meaning of the word, however the experience eluded me. Joy I could do, happy for some reason, no.
One day during a workshop the word happy was demonstrated to me with much laughter from the audience. Now I not only get happy but remember it also as a fun experience.
There are many small things that can make me happy as well as give me endless joy. Ive listed seven simple ways toward experiencing a happy moment, but first check you have a reference point to the word happy. Find out what happy really means to you?
1. Remember or create a happy moment. When you live the experience of happy your mind and body will remember. Feel the happiness in all parts of you, expand this feeling if need be. Practise this daily.
2. Access the Present moment. Notice what happens to you when youre totally focussed on a comedy show on television, when you listen to light hearted music or when you dance – even if its on your own. I sometimes groove to a tune in my office when no-ones looking it makes me feel good, cool, gives me a break from what Im doing and I laugh at myself!
3. Invite friends over for some play time. Organise paper, crayons, paint, and coloured pencils, whatever you can think of and do some drawings or paintings. You could also ask each person to bring along a plate of food.
4. Spend time with nature, go for a walk down the beach or park; observe wildlife in your area or visit a plant nursery. Notice your mood when amongst the spirit of nature.
5. Take something with you that gives you great pleasure such as a book, journal for writing or your MP3 player and sit and Be under the canopies of trees for a few hours.
6. Learn something totally new such as another language; pottery or painting or start your meditation, personal or spiritual development program. Youre only ever limited by your own imagination.
7. Join a club or group that you have an interest in. You can then expand your friendship base with other like-minded souls.
With any of the above activities assess what and how youre feeling as well as where you feel the emotion and how much are you laughing, grinning, or smiling? Remember them totally by living the experience and you will then be able to recall this memory when you want to.
Include to memory your experience colours, smells, sounds and tastes all the better for remembering your happy time with.
Quiet time spent alone can open the door to the possibility of connection to that most amazing and magical part of you that is your true self, the spirit within.
From my experience the key to a happy life begins with remembering who you are, know what gives you enjoyment, be present, and know that regardless of your circumstances noone can take away your thoughts or dreams, they are yours to keep for as long as you wish.